Comfrey Home >
The first settlers in the area of Comfrey arrived in 1869. In 1899, the Chicago & North Western Railroad opened a station along the Brown/Cottonwood County border and encouraged growth of a town there. A post office opened in the area in 1878 with A. W. Pederson as postmaster. Pederson named the office after the comfrey plant. Eventually, the post office moved south to the town. The town took the name of the post office and was incorporated in 1900 as a village. The village was platted in 1902 and grew into a busy community with numerous businsses, including a barber shop, bank, lawyer’s office, creamery, elevator, druggist, grocer, hotel, shoe store, implement dealer, and produce company.
Comfrey, 1909