Golden Gate Home >
The ghost town of Golden Gate was settled in 1864. In 1868, the Golden Gate post office opened with postmaster Ebenezer Fuller. John Heimerdinger built a water-powered mill along Spring Creek in 1869. By 1880, Golden Gate had a blacksmith operated by John Pickle, Horatio Werring’s grocery store, Ralph Simmons’ country store, a photographer, a shoemaker, and a carpenter. The small village was supposedly considered a rough place and was called “Hell’s Half Acre” and “Podunk.” When the railroads bypassed Golden Gate in the 1870s in 1900, the village began to decline. The post office closed in 1900 and the mill ran until 1902.