Hanska Home >
The town of Hanska developed in the 1890s after a local farmer, Hans Blessum platted a proposed town called Blessum. In 1892 and 1893, the Lake Hanska and Linden Co-Op Creamery and the Hanska-Linden Store Co. opened on land purchased from Blessum. Several other businsesses opened afterward. In 1899, a railroad depot was constructed on the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad line. That October, Harry and Anna Jenkins platted a new town of Hanska to the north of Blessum. Once the depot was established, the center of activity moved to Hanska. Hanska was incorporated on May 15, 1901, and Blessum became included in the village as an addition.
Independence Day celebration, 1903