Leavenworth Township Home >
Leavenworth Township was one of the first townships established on June 28, 1858 by the Brown County Board of Commissioners. The township was likely named after Colonel Henry Leavenworth, who came to Minnesota in 1819 to build Ft. Snelling. The township’s organizational meeting was held on April 16, 1859. G. W. Maffet was elected constable at the meeting, along with C. F. Putnam. Other officers elected were Chairman Luther Whiton, Supervisors Isaac Bandy and Seth Henshaw, and Pound-masters Peter Kelley and George Charnock. Charnock was also elected Township Clerk. The pounds, for catching stray farm animals, were located at J.B. Calkin’s claim and at the smokehouse of Luther Whiton.
John and Therese Schumacher