North Star Township Home >
North Star Township was settled in 1858 by C. C. Davis; however, he only remained for one year. Other early settlers include John McCowan, Henry Hewett, and John Young, who settled in 1870, and later Ambrose Persons, and Matthew Ryan. The township organized on January 9, 1873 and was named after Minnesota’s state motto, “The North Star State.” Henry Hewett served as the township’s first Chairman, and hosted the first township election. Located to the west of Springfield, North Star was entirely rural, although part of the City of Springfield now extends into the township. Matthew Ryan, right, his son, John, left, and grandson Arnold, center