Sigel Township Home >
Sigel Township was initially included in Cottonwood Township, but separated from it in 1862. The township was named after General Franz Sigel, an important figure of the Civil War. Some local residents considered him a hero and wanted to name an area after him. Sigel’s first settler was Almond Loomis, who came in 1856. Several other settlers arrived in 1856, including Charles C. Brandt, who constructed a windmill during that winter. Sigel Township had no railroad lines, no churches, no villages, and until 1894, no businesses except farming and cottage industries like carpenters, blacksmiths, and painters. Sigel’s first formal business was the Sigel creamery, which organized in 1893 and opened in January 1894.
John Portner