Springfield Home >
The community of Springfield grew after the Winona and St. Peter Railroad established a depot called Burns Station there in 1872. Michael Gamble opened the first business in 1872 and a post office was established in 1873. The community was initially called Burnstown. In 1881, the village incorporated, and changed its name to Springfield, for a large spring that was in the town. By then Springfield was a booming town with several shops and industries. In 1886, the Springfield Milling Company was built and served as one of Springfield’s major industries along with the A. C. Ochs brickyard that opened in 1891, and the Springfield Farmers’ Cooperative Creamery opened in 1893.